mandag 22. april 2013

Flowers in the snow – pattern in English

This is the same pattern as you find here. I've just done a bit of sorting and made an all English version for you. (Have been meaning to do that for a while…)

teppe2

Facts about my blanket:

12 x 16 = 192 squares

Number of colours: not known…

Yarn: The colours are mostly Sandnes Smart and Dale Falk + leftovers from my stash. The white yarn in Vestlandsgarn from Gjesdal.

Hook : 4 mm

The blanket weighs 1250 grams.
It measures ca 110 X 150 cm.

hjørne

Please let me know if something is difficult to understand.

I’m using US crochet terminology.

ch = chain, st = stitch, ss = slip stitch, dc = double crochet, tr = treble crochet

(Follow the link to pages explaining the stitches.)

tut1

tut2

Start: make 5 ch, join with ss into a ring.

tut3

Round 1: 4ch (=1dc,1ch), 1dc + 1ch 11 times. Join with ss in 3rd ch. 12 dc.

tut4

tut5

Round 2: Start in one of the ch spaces. 3 ch (= 1dc), 1dc, 1ch, *2dc, 1ch* in the remaining ch spaces. Join with ss in 3rd ch. 12 groups of 2 dc.

tut6

tut7

Round 3: Start in one of the ch spaces. 3 ch (= 1dc), 2dc in ch space, 1ch, *3dc, 1ch* in the remaining ch spaces. Join with ss in 3rd ch. 12 groups of 3 dc.

tut8

Round 4: Start in one of the ch spaces. 4ch (= 1 tr), 1tr, 3ch, 2tr, (=1st corner),

tut9

tut10

*1ch, (2dc,1ch,2dc) in next ch space, 1ch, (2dc,1ch,2dc) in next ch space, 1ch, (2tr, 3ch, 2tr) (=2nd corner)**,

tut11

repeat * to ** 2 times, 1ch, (2dc, 1ch, 2dc) inthe next two ch spaces, 1ch. Join with ss to 4th ch.

tut12

I like the assemblyline method so I prefer to make a lot of circles before I start the 4th round.

Join as you go method:

I like to join the squares in the last round, like I show here.

(Moonstitches have a great tutorial for joining hexagons. It’s mostly the same.)

The squares are joined together in the corners and at two places on the sides.

tut13

Start by crocheting the fourth round on one of your circles. The joining starts with your second square:

Start in a corner. Crochet 4 ch (count as a tr) 1tr, 1ch, next ch through the corner of the other square, 1ch, 2tr. (The first corner is done)

tut14

tut15

First side: 1ch, (2dc, 1ch through 1ch on other square, 2dc), 1ch (2dc, 1ch through 1ch on other square, 2dc), 1ch

tut16

tut17

Next corner (where you will join your square to the square to the right and the one above): 2tr, 1ch, 1ch through corner of square to the right, 1 ch through corner of the square above, 2 tr.

tut18

Do the next side as the first. In the next corner you crochet 1 ch through the corner of the square above. Finish the round as in pattern for the 4th round.

tut19

tut20

hjørne2

This is how I did the border:

One row of dc first. On dc in every dc and one dc in every ch space. 5 dc in the corners.

One row of sc in every dc of last round. Make one extra sc in the corners.

One row of loops: Start with one sc, chain 4, skip two sc on last round – all the way round.

Ravelry - "Flowers in the snow"

And, if you use this pattern, come and join the flickr group too

50 kommentarer:

  1. Dette var et vakkert teppe :-)

    SvarSlett
  2. Nydelig, for en tålmodighetsprøve!

    SvarSlett
  3. Solveig, what a generous lady you are! Your crocheted blanket (or afghan as we call them over here in the States) is lovely. Now, your clear instructions will give lots of other folks to create their own colorways and make a blanket, or a cushion cover, or a tote bag, or...maybe they will surprise with something totally different.

    xo

    SvarSlett
  4. Ficou linda, linda.
    Parabéns.
    Obrigada por ensinar a fazer esta manta.
    Beijo.

    SvarSlett
  5. This blanket is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
    Gloria x

    SvarSlett
  6. Nydelig teppe du har heklet! Så fint at du gir beskrivelse av hekling av rutene og ikke minst sammenhekling av rutene. Har aldri prøvd denne type sammenhekling, men det skal jeg jammen prøve meg på! Takk for at du deler! :-)

    SvarSlett
  7. One of the most beautiful blanket I have seen. So much work - and yet, you are so generous to share a tutorial with photos. Thank you!!!!!!!!

    SvarSlett
  8. This blanket is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    SvarSlett
  9. Utterly gorgeous! Thank you for sharing such a lovely tutorial as well, even though I don not crochet (just the basics) this blanket makes me want to. Beautiful!

    SvarSlett
  10. Your blanket is so cute !! Thanks for the pattern....Isabelle

    SvarSlett
  11. Nydeleg teppe! Skulle ynskje eg hadde tolmodigheit til å lage noko slikt. Tykjer det er nok med eit babyteppe ;-)

    SvarSlett
  12. Merci beaucoup pour cette méthode en anglais !

    SvarSlett
  13. Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial!
    I 've made some flowers and I have some pictures on my Flickr photostream.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/patchworkdailydesire/sets/72157634959443660/

    SvarSlett
  14. Thanks for sharing and kind regards from Holland!

    SvarSlett
  15. This is a beautiful cosy design ! Thank you for sharing your photos:))) in my country Cyprus crocheting was an essential skill for ladies but with the chance of way of life was dying . I think now is coming back with modernised and more colorful and I'm glad for that :)

    SvarSlett
  16. Thanks for this... I have nearly finished all the circles I need and am about to start with the background colour. Do you remember how many balls of wool you needed of the white? I'll need to go and buy that (mine will be black, and I want to make sure I get enough of the same dye lot)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I don't remember how much white I used. But i've been asked this before and I think that half of my blanket is in white yarn.
      So in my 192-square blanket I may have used 600 grams of white.

      Slett
  17. Thank you very much for this lovely and inspiring design...! I just learned that I am to be blessed with TWO grandchildren next Spring, and I am thinking that this design would be lovely for both baby afghans that I wish to make!

    SvarSlett
  18. What a gorgeous blanket. I think your colours are stunning. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. I am going to make a little cushion for my niece for Christmas. Thank you again.

    SvarSlett
  19. thank you so much for posting this! i am going to make this... i did my first square tonight! :)

    SvarSlett
  20. this is so beautiful! i started making one tonight-- did my first square! :)

    SvarSlett
  21. I'm attempting my first granny blanket. I have a dozen or so circles made with the 4th round completed, so lots of squares. Can you explain how to join the squares, if I didn't use the "join as you go'' method? And many thanks for the super clear instructions, I tried a few different patterns and this one worked the best for me as a beginner.

    SvarSlett
  22. If you don't use the join-as-you-go method you could sew the squares together or join with crochet. I would recommend you to make a google search for "joining squares" - you'll find many photos and tutorials I'm sure.

    SvarSlett
  23. Thank you so much for this tutorial!! It is exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to make my own. :)

    SvarSlett
  24. Solveig - thanks so much for this pattern. I've followed this pattern every step of the way, but think that I must be doing something wrong when joining the corners in the final round. Corners aren't consistent and beautifully lacy looking like yours...when joining corners, I do two tr's, then one chain, and one additional chain in each joining corner, then the last two tr's. Am I reading the pattern correctly? Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is really a special blanket and has been an enjoyable (and quite time consuming) project!!

    - Carrie (Nashville, TN)

    SvarSlett
  25. This is so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I look forward to making one in the near future.
    The photos are just great!

    ~Diane (Texas)

    SvarSlett
  26. Thank you so much for the english version. Love this patern. Love your blog and trying to understand norwegian :-) Liefs, Loes

    SvarSlett
  27. Thank you for the instructions for this lovely little blanket!

    SvarSlett
  28. Thank you so much for the directions to this lovely little blanket!

    SvarSlett
  29. You have inspired me to make a version of this blanket...can I use your first picture with the link back to this blog post?

    SvarSlett
  30. his looks beautiful! how do you chose the colors? randomly? or do you follow a kind of system while crocheting? i would find it hard to keep a kind of overview...

    SvarSlett
  31. this is really cute and beautiful..nice colour.. very lovely blanket... :)

    SvarSlett
  32. this really cute and beautiful blanket..thx for ur sharing ...

    SvarSlett
  33. I think that this is the most beautiful blanket, I have ever seen :-) Ufortunately, I am no good at crocheting, so I was searching for somewhere to buy it. You do not sell any of your items, do you? Or know somewhere where I could buy this? Thank you very much :-)

    SvarSlett
  34. I just learned how to crochet, and I'm following your wonderful tutorial to start this afghan. Would you mind if I use one of the photos in my blog and link the photo to your tutorial?

    Thank you for the inspiration!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, Vickie!
      Good luck with your afghan! You can use one of my photos on your blog. Thanks for asking :)

      Slett
    2. Thank you so much, Solveig! Here's the link to my blog post linked to your tutorial:

      http://daranger911.blogspot.com/2016/03/xs-and-os.html

      Have a great week!
      Vickie

      Slett
  35. Solveig, I am nearly through with my "scrap yarn" afghan, which looks rather like yours; I had a bunch of 80/20 cotton and wool yarn in a very, very faint yellow I'm using as my background. It's the first crochet project I've attempted since I had a major stroke in December 2014. I should have died, in fact. I was thrilled to realize I could still crochet when a friend suggested this afghan as our crochet-along project--my first crochet project since the stroke. I'm using the yarn friends sent me to replace what I lost in a house fire three weeks before the stroke. Yes, I've had that kind of life. :) The afghan is not perfect, but it's darn near, and certainly good enough for me. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern.

    SvarSlett
  36. Solveig, this is such a lovely blanket. I'm almost done with the one I'm making; its background is a very, very faint yellow, really a cream.

    It's the first crochet project I've begun since I had a major stroke in December 2014; I wasn't supposed to live, but went on to both knit and crochet as well as spin. I have vertigo, and my right side is still weaker, but my work is nearly as good as yours. :) I am limping along.

    Thank you so much for sharing your blanket. I wanted you to know what uses the pattern is being put to.

    SvarSlett
  37. Thanks for sharing your designs and pattern in snow it is just loved to watch them xx Send Flowers to Norway

    SvarSlett
  38. Solvieg, This blanket is really beautiful. I'm working on a smaller version myself. Would it be okay if I feature this project on my blog? I would of course link to this page.

    SvarSlett
  39. I am a very inexperienced beginnner and really cannot get my head around joining them. I have done all 192 rounds and have done them up to round 3 but I cannot fathom how to join them at all. I’m English so I’m trying to change the American crochet terms to UK and I’m left handed. I don’t know why I’m finding it so difficult to grap but I don’t know where to put my hook, I’ve no idea what I’m doing I could really do with a video on how to join this exact pattern pretty please xxx

    SvarSlett
  40. I've been watching a video, but I like your pictures much better. Very helpful!

    SvarSlett

Takk for kommentaren, stikk gjerne innom igjen!
Thanks for commenting and welcome back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails